A comforting weeknight meal that packs in the protein and veggies, this cheesy Chicken Broccoli Casserole is a family favorite. You’ll love the low carb count, without sacrificing any flavor!
For more hearty dinner ideas, be sure to try this delicious Instant pot spaghetti squash lasagna recipe. So easy and the whole family will love it!
Why this Recipe Works
Where I’m from in the midwest, we take our casseroles seriously. From old favorites that involve nothing more than a few cans of creamy soup and vegetables, to elaborate layered casseroles filled with meat and every cheese under the sun, we love them all.
The problem with most casseroles is that they tend to be filled with noodles or other starches, not to mention all the sodium.
This recipe proves you don’t need noodles, flour or canned soups to make a casserole that’s completely creamy, satisfying and flavorful! With broccoli (or your other favorite vegetables), mushrooms and tender pieces of chicken, you can make a full meal in one dish. Don’t forget to sprinkle a little fresh Parmesan on top for even more cheesiness!
You’ll love that this recipe is easy enough for a weeknight, kid approved, low carb and–of course–sugar and flour free.
- Cooked Chicken – A great use for leftover chicken from the night before! To make this recipe even more convenient, you could grab a precooked rotisserie chicken to use instead. Cut it into cubes or shred it before adding it to the casserole.
- Broccoli – I used fresh broccoli florets. Frozen broccoli can be substituted if thawed before sauteeing.
- Mushrooms – This time I used jarred mushrooms, however fresh mushrooms would be delicious in this too.
- Whipping Cream – Real heavy whipping cream works best for thickening the sauce.
- Cheese – You need freshly grated mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses in the casserole as well as some extra Parmesan for sprinkling on top.
- Seasonings – Dried herbs and a little crushed red pepper go a long way in adding flavor
Step by Step Instructions
STEP 1. Put the cooked chicken in the bottom of a greased baking dish
STEP 2. Saute the broccoli on the stove top with garlic, and the seasonings. Add the cooked broccoli to the baking pan on top of the chicken.
STEP 3. Use the same skillet to heat the chicken broth and cream together. Stir with a wooden spoon until the sauce gets thick and bubbly, then whisk in the cheeses.
STEP 4. Pour the cheesy sauce over the chicken and broccoli. Sprinkle with more mozzarella.
STEP 5. Cover the pan with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and return the casserole to the oven for another 10 minutes to brown the cheese.
Sprinkle with more parmesan and parsley before serving, if desired. The parsley adds the perfect touch of freshness to the creamy chicken casserole!
Serve it up with a side of riced cauliflower!
Totally. You could swap out the broccoli for your favorites or add them to the pan along with the broccoli. Peppers, onions, cauliflower or zucchini would all be great choices.
I wouldn’t recommend it. You get so much flavor from fat in the sauce, plus it’s important for helping everything thicken. Low fat cheeses are also more likely to contain additives (even sugar!) so I’d avoid them for this casserole recipe.
Yes, a mild cheddar cheese or gouda cheese would work.
If you need to make this ahead of time, you could cook the broccoli in the morning, layer it over the cooked chicken then cover with foil and store in the fridge during the day. Then, when it’s time for dinner, make the creamy sauce while your oven preheats.
More Easy Dinner Recipes
- Bacon Cheeseburger Zucchini
- Swedish Meatballs
- Pizza Casserole
- Chicken Spinach Skillet
- Jalapeno Popper Chicken
- Chickpea Curry
- 2 lb cooked chicken breasts, cubed or shredded
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1 jar (4.5 oz) sliced mushrooms **
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13x9 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray (or brush with olive oil).
- Add diced (or shredded) chicken to bottom of baking dish. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, over medium high heat, saute olive oil with garlic, broccoli, and seasonings. Cook for about 4 minutes, while stirring constantly, until broccoli is softened.
- Pour vegetables over chicken. Set aside.
- In same skillet over medium heat, add chicken broth and heavy cream. Using a wooden spoon, deglaze the pan by scraping the bits stuck to the bottom (these are delicious and you want them in your sauce). Keep stirring and heating for about 4-5 minutes, until sauce thickens and bubbles slightly. Remove from heat and whisk in 1 cup of mozzarella cheese and the parmesan cheese until smooth.
- Pour cheese sauce over chicken and vegetables, stir slightly until combined. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes, until cheese is lightly browned.
- Serve and enjoy, sprinkle with parsley and more parmesan cheese if desired.
- Can also substitute 8 oz fresh mushrooms for the jarred variety
- Add more vegetables if desired, peppers, onions, cauliflower, and zucchini are great choices. Saute with the broccoli.
- Frozen broccoli may be used, if thawed and sauteed as directed above.
- As always, check labels for added sugars.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 385Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 140mgSodium: 728mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 43g
Chicken Broccoli Casserole makes getting your daily serving of veggies easy and delicious. It’s no wonder my family loves when this dish is on the dinner menu!