Jalapeno Popper Chicken. Shredded chicken in a creamy sauce with a jalapeno kick. Served as a main dish or an appetizer, this easy low carb recipe is cheesy, flavorful and satisfying!
Why this Recipe Works
Do you love jalapeno poppers as much as I do? The combo of spicy jalapeno peppers with a creamy filling to cool it down is downright irresistible.
This jalapeno popper chicken recipe takes everything you love about the fried appetizer and turns it into an easy baked dish.
You can serve it as a dip for an appetizer or pile it on your plate and call it dinner! This jalapeno chicken is creamy and cheesy but has plenty of substance too.
Crispy bacon bits add a mouthwatering smoky touch to the spicy chicken. Sprinkle a little green onion on top for freshness and you’re ready to dig in.
You’ll love how easy this is to make, too. A mixing bowl and a baking pan are all you need to get jalapeno popper chicken on the table!
Cooked shredded chicken. This is a great use for leftover chicken! Or pick up a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store to make it even faster.
Jalapeño peppers. Removing the seeds before using helps calm down the heat. They’ll be spicy but not overwhelming. Keep some seeds if you want more heat.
Shredded cheddar cheese. I recommend shredding the cheese yourself for best results. Store bought grated cheese doesn’t melt as well as fresh grated.
Bacon- get my tips on how to cook bacon in the oven. Makes the perfect addition to today’s recipe.
All you have to do to make Jalapeño Popper Chicken is mix, bake and eat!
Combine the cream cheese, cheddar, and jalapenos in a bowl with seasonings and shredded chicken. Pour it into a baking dish, top with bacon and more shredded cheese.
Cover the dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Take off the foil and bake it again until the cheese is slightly browned and bubbly.
Sprinkle with green onion and serve hot!
Here are a few of my favorite ways to serve Jalapeno Popper Chicken:
- As a main course with a side of cauliflower rice or cauliflower mash.
- As a dip with sliced veggies. Celery, carrot sticks and sliced bell peppers are all delicious with this.
- With corn tortilla chips for scooping.
- Over baked sweet potatoes for a filling dinner.
Tips and Tricks
If you want a spicier casserole: leave some of the seed membrane in the jalapenos when removing seeds. The more seeds and seed membrane left in the peppers, the spicier the final product will be.
Jalapeno Popper Chicken should be served hot. Reheat leftovers in the microwave or in the oven to get them hot and melty again!
Make ahead option: Assemble the dish, cover the pan with foil and stash in the fridge for up to 24 hours. When you’re ready to eat, just bake as directed and enjoy!
Makes a great appetizer too. Serve before having our salisbury steak for dinner!
Yes, Jalapeno Popper Chicken is approved for Keto diets. Enjoy with fresh veggies or a keto-approved side dish for a complete meal.
Leftovers keep well in the fridge for 3 – 4 days. Don’t forget to reheat it to melt the cheese before enjoying!
Yes, substituting another fresh hot pepper such as serrano would work in this recipe. Technically, that makes it not “jalapeno popper” but it’ll be tasty!
Just don’t used canned, jarred or pickled peppers here. The extra liquid will make the finished dish more watery.
More Gluten Free Chicken Recipes
- Chicken Spinach Skillet
- White Chicken Chili
- Keto Tuscan Chicken
- Chicken Broccoli Casserole
- Cilantro Lime Chicken
- 4 cups cooked and shredded chicken (about 2 lb)
- 8 ounce cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 jalapenos, seeded and diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 green onion, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- IN a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese with heavy cream, 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese, jalapenos, garlic salt, and paprika. Add in cooked and shredded chicken.
- Spoon mixture into a 2 qt baking dish. Top with cooked and crumbled bacon, and remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese. Cover with foil and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and cook an additional 5 minutes, until cheese is melted and mixture is bubble.
- Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with green onion. Serve hot.
- Serving Suggestions: Can be served as a main dish with a side of cauliflower rice or cauliflower mash. Or as a dip with fresh vegetables.
- If you want a spicier casserole: leave some of the seed membrane in the jalapenos when removing seeds. The more seeds and seed membrane left in the peppers, the spicier the final product will be.
- Jalapeno Popper Chicken should be served hot. Reheat leftovers in the microwave or in the oven to get them hot and melty again!
- Make ahead option: Assemble the dish, cover the pan with foil and stash in the fridge for up to 24 hours. When you're ready to eat, just bake as directed and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 429Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 140mgSodium: 582mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 26g
A low carb recipe that works as a casserole OR a hot dip. Jalapeno Popper Chicken is dancing with spicy, creamy and cheesy flavors everyone loves!