Salisbury Steak is a meaty main course packed with protein and flavor. Savory ground beef patties are pan cooked then smothered with an irresistible creamy brown gravy in this easy gluten free recipe. Ready in about 30 minutes!
Why this Recipe is Best
Salisbury Steak is traditionally a patty made from ground beef and binders like eggs and flour. It’s not unlike a hamburger patty, only you eat it with a knife and fork rather than a bun. And no Salisbury Steak is complete without a hearty helping of gravy on top!
Our version of this American dish is easy to make and a notch above the other versions. And we use almond flour to keep it gluten free.
- High in protein, low in carbs.
- Perfectly seasoned with garlic and onion.
- Made with inexpensive, easy-to-find ingredients.
- Homemade gravy on top!
We make our Salisbury Steak recipe with typical components like ground beef and egg, along with a few key swaps to make it lower in carbs without sacrificing an ounce of flavor.
- Almond flour. Along with the egg, this high protein flour helps bind the beef patties together. Swap this our for crushed pork rinds if you prefer (we used pork rinds in our crispy coating for breaded pork chops!
- Parmesan cheese. A little grated cheese gives the patties even more delicious flavor.
- Heavy whipping cream. Gives the beef gravy a creamier consistency than broth alone!
- Cornstarch. Thickens the gravy without any gluten.
- Worcestershire sauce. This is used to season the gravy, along with garlic, salt and pepper. Make sure to use a version without added sugars or flours.
Tips and Tricks
Once the patty ingredients are combined, use your hands to shape the beef mixture into patties. You’ll get about 6 patties from this recipe if you make them each about 3/4 inch thick.
Cook the patties on a covered skillet with a little melted butter. They need about 7 minutes on each side, but we suggest using a meat thermometer to check for doneness. When the patties reach an internal temperature of 160 F, they’re fully cooked and ready to eat.
Don’t forget about the gravy! You can make it right in the same skillet as the Salisbury Steaks. When it’s done, add the steaks back to the skillet and coat them in the gravy before serving.
The familiar flavors in Salisbury Steak make it perfect for serving with lightened up versions of classic comfort foods. We suggest a big serving of Cauliflower Mash! These roasted radishes would be a delicious addition to the plate too.
Xanthan gum works well as a substitute for the cornstarch if you need this recipe to be completely grain free.
We used lean ground beef in today’s recipe but any percentage of fat will work. You will just have more excess grease to drain out of the skillet if you use beef that isn’t as lean.
Yes, these Salisbury Steaks can be made in advance and frozen. Store the steaks in a freezer safe container and reheat in the microwave or on the stove top when ready to eat. Freeze beef patties before or after cooking!
Made as directed, this Salisbury Steak is keto because it is low in net carbs. Make sure to use a no-sugar Worcestershire sauce in the gravy to keep the carb total lower.
- Chicken Alfredo Zoodles
- Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
- Keto Zuppa Toscana Soup
- Grilled Vegetables
- Low Carb Eggplant Parmesan
- Lemon Butter Tilapia
For the steaks
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons butter
For the gravy
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 16 ounce sliced mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon water
- parsley, for garnish
- In a mixing bowl, combine ground beef with egg, almond flour, parmesan cheese, diced onion, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Form into 6 oval patties, about 3/4 inch thick.
- In a large 12-inch skillet, heat 2 Tablespoons of butter over medium high heat. Add beef patties and cook for about 7 minutes (covered).
- Flip the beef steaks and cook an additional 7 minutes uncovered, or until cooked through. Remove from skillet and set aside on a plate (you may need to do 2 batches). Drain the grease.
- For the gravy, in the skillet, add 2 Tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms, garlic and heat for several minutes, untl mushrooms are cooked to desired consistency.
- Whisk in the heavy cream, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Heat over medium heat, stirring often, for about 5 minutes.
- While gravy is heating, whisk together the cornstarch and water. Add to gravy, whisking and stirring, until thickened. This will take about an additional 5 minutes.
- Add salisbury steaks back to the skillet with the gravy and heat for several minutes until warm.
- Serve with cauliflower mashed potatoes and sprinkle with parsley.
- Heat beef patties until an internal temperature of 160 degrees F.
- If desired, swap the cornstarch for xantham gum. You can also swap out the almond flour for crushed pork rinds if you prefer.
- We suggest a big serving of Cauliflower Mash! These roasted radishes would be a delicious addition to the plate too.
- What kind of beef is best for Salisbury Steak? We used lean ground beef in today's recipe but any percentage of fat will work. You will just have more excess grease to drain out of the skillet if you use beef that isn't as lean.
- Can I freeze Salisbury Steak? Yes, these Salisbury Steaks can be made in advance and frozen. Store the steaks in a freezer safe container and reheat in the microwave or on the stove top when ready to eat. Freeze beef patties before or after cooking!
Serving Size:1 pattie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 728Total Fat: 53gSaturated Fat: 24gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 227mgSodium: 907mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 50g
An easy Salisbury Steak with gravy you can make any night of the week! The juicy flavorful beef patties are high in protein, low in carbs and mouthwateringly delicious.