Bring flavors of Italy to your dinner table with this Keto Tuscan Chicken recipe. Pan cooked chicken is covered with a creamy Parmesan sauce and sundried tomatoes for a low carb meal everyone will rave over.
Why this Recipe is Best
We eat a lot of chicken at this house. But making the same chicken recipes night after night gets boring fast.
This Tuscan Chicken is a new dinner idea to add some variety to your meals. Ready in well under 30 minutes, it’s perfect for weeknight cooking but impressive enough to serve company.
- Packed with veggies and protein
- Seasoned with aromatic herbs and spices
- Hearty cream sauce is balanced with the fresh flavor of sundried tomatoes.
- Low carb, keto friendly and ready in minutes.
You don’t have to be keto to be blown away by this easy, delicious Tuscan Chicken!
Chicken breasts. Cut two regular sized chicken breasts in half horizontally or use 4 thin cut chicken breasts instead.
Sun-dried tomatoes. The acid in sun-dried tomatoes provides a lovely balance to the savory heavy cream sauce. You only need a few of them for this recipe, so the meal remains keto approved.
Parmesan cheese. Buy the cheese in blocks and grate it yourself for best results. Freshly grated cheese melts quicker and more smoothly than pre-packaged shredded cheeses which tend to contain additives.
Italian seasoning. This ingredient is optional but is a delicious addition to the Tuscan chicken. I use our homemade italian seasoning.
Step by Step Instructions
STEP 1. Season the chicken and pan fry.
Sprinkle garlic, paprika, salt and pepper on both sides of the chicken breasts.
Heat olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until cooked through, flipping half way through cooking time. Remove the chicken from the pan and set it aside.
STEP 2. Make cream sauce
Saute onion in the pan until softened. Add garlic and continue cooking until fragrant and golden. Pour in chicken broth to deglaze the pan.
Now, add the heavy cream and lower the heat. Let the sauce simmer until nicely thickened. Add the Parmesan and stir until its melted and incorporated with the cream.
Assemble and serve
Add the sundried tomatoes and Italian seasoning to the pan. Stir in the baby spinach and cover the pan with a lid until the leaves are wilted. Place the chicken back in the skillet and let it simmer in the cream sauce for about 1 more minute.
Season Tuscan Chicken with additional salt and pepper to taste before serving.
Tips and Tricks
- Use a meat thermometer to check chicken for doneness. The center of the chicken breasts should reach 165 F to be fully cooked.
- You can use the same skillet to cook the chicken and make the sauce. Three cheers for fewer dishes to wash!
- Store leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge. Enjoy reheated within 3 days.
Keep your meal low carb by serving the chicken with a side of zucchini noodles, cauliflower rice or a simple green salad.
For a lower calorie version, you can swap out the heavy cream for almond milk. Make sure the nut milk is unsweetened and unflavored. You may want to add a bit of xanthan gum to the almond milk to help thicken the sauce.
Boneless, skinless chicken thighs can be substituted for the chicken breasts. They may need slightly more time to cook but will taste just as delicious in this Tuscan cream sauce.
More Easy Keto Dinners
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut in half horizontally or 4 thin sliced chicken breasts
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika, optional
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 4 cups baby spinach
- Season chicken breasts with garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and brown the chicken for 4 to 5 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Saute the onion in the same skillet with the remaining oil and cook for about 3 minutes until soft.
- Add garlic and cook until golden brown.
- Deglaze the pan with chicken or vegetable broth. Pour in heavy cream and reduce the heat to low and simmer until the sauce thickened.
- Add the parmesan and stir until the cheese has melted into the cream sauce.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes and Italian seasoning if using. Add the baby spinach, stir and cover until spinach is wilted.
- Return the chicken to the skillet, cover with the sauce and simmer for another minute. Taste and season with more salt and pepper to taste.
- What can you serve the Tuscan chicken with? It can be served with a simple green salad, cauliflower rice, or zucchini noodles.
- Can I substitute heavy cream with almond milk? Unsweetened almond milk is keto-friendly. You may have to thicken the sauce with xanthan gum if you do substitute.
- Be sure to pound chicken breasts to even thickness. This helps them cook evenly.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 620Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 249mgSodium: 454mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 77g
Easy, nourishing and ready in no time this keto Tuscan Chicken recipe is a one pan dinner you can make any night of the week!