This Homemade Italian Seasoning mix adds instant herby flavor to any dish. Mix together this easy spice recipe to use in all of your favorite Italian dishes.
Why make Homemade Italian Seasoning
- Make it your own – When you make homemade seasoning blends you have control over the finished product. It’s so easy to adjust the ratios of any herb or spice to suit your taste buds.
- Save money – This homemade Italian spice mix costs far less per serving than store bought blends.
- No additives or preservatives – Store bought brands can contain some surprising “mystery” ingredients mixed in with the spices. With homemade seasoning, you know exactly what is going into your food.
- Best Italian herb flavor – Our spice blend recipe has the perfect balance of aromatic herbs for enhancing meats, veggies, sauces and soups.
- Quick and easy – Anyone can make homemade Italian seasoning! Just measure ingredients and shake them together. So simple!
What is in Italian Seasoning
You want to use the leaves for this recipe and not the ground version of any of these spices. Some of the containers will read “leaves”, but if you purchase the herbs in a clear jar you’ll be able to SEE for yourself.
- Dried Basil – sweet and earthy aroma. Pairs well with meats, vegetables and soups.
- Oregano Leaves – robust and lemon flavor notes.
- Rosemary – has a strong pine flavor.
- Parsley – adds peppery flavor to the mix.
- Thyme – is known to complement meat and has a subtle but savory note.
- Marjoram Leaves – an herb closely related to oregano. It has a mild citrus and woody flavor.
- Red Pepper Flakes- add a little heat, if desired.
We love using this Italian seasoning to make grilled chicken for our chicken caprese salad recipe!
You don’t need sugary store bought salad dressings when you can make a delicious dressing at home using this Italian seasoning, a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar. So simple and delicious.
Dried herb blends like this one should be stored in a cool dry location, away from direct sunlight for longest shelf life. I keep mine in an airtight container (like a mason jar fitted with a lid).
This Italian Seasoning Mix is best used within 6 months. The shelf life of your seasoning will also depend on how fresh your herbs are when you mix them. The fresher the herbs, the longer your spice mix will keep.
Oregano makes a fine substitute for marjoram. However it is much more pungent than marjoram, so we recommend using only 1 tablespoon of oregano for the 2 tablespoons of marjoram called for in the recipe. You can also substitute additional sage, thyme or Herbs de Provence in place of the Marjoram Leaves.
No, ground herbs cannot be substituted for the leaves. Be sure to use the dried herbs in leaf form (not powder) for this recipe.
More Pantry Staples
- 2 Tablespoons dried basil
- 2 Tablespoons dried oregano leaves
- 1 Tablespoons dried rosemary
- 2 Tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 Tablespoons dried thyme leaves
- 2 Tablespoons dried marjoram leaves*
- 1 Tablespoon red pepper flakes
- Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl.
- When adding the rosemary to the bowl, crush it slightly.
- Stir until completely combined.
- For best freshness, place in a jar or airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months.
- If you don’t have marjoram on hand, a good substitute would be a little more oregano. However, oregano is much stronger than marjoram, so the amount should be decreased by half, using only 1 Tablespoon of oregano. Other substitutions would be thyme leaves, sage, or Herbs de Provence.
- Depending on the container, sometimes it will read “leaves” and sometimes it doesn’t. You want to use the leaves for this recipe and not the ground version of any of these spices.
- Use it on the Chicken Caprese Salad for a delicious seasoned salad. Or add to our grilled chicken tenders!
Serving Size:1 Tablespoon
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 10Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 3mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g
The proof is in the taste: homemade Italian Seasoning Mix really is better! Dried herbs and spices come together in an easy spice blend that adds incredible flavor to hundreds of dishes.