Chicken Caprese Salad is an easy, healthy meal that’s ready in minutes! Juicy chicken is glazed with balsamic vinegar and served with mozzarella on a bed of greens.
Why this Salad is Best
The phrase “healthy salad” doesn’t always conjure the most appetizing images. But done right, a simple chicken salad can be delicious, pretty to look at AND good for you to boot.
- Flavorful and satisfying. This protein-packed salad fills you up without weighing you down.
- Fast and easy. From start to finish, this Chicken Caprese Salad can be ready to eat in about 15 minutes.
- Endless options. Once the chicken is cooked you can customize your salad with veggies and toppings you like.
This Chicken Caprese Salad recipe is packed with the Italian flavors, fresh vegetables and plenty of balsamic chicken for a salad you’ll crave !
Chicken – This recipe starts with a boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Make sure to pound them to even thickness first. Or slice them in half lengthwise to make cutlets.
Italian seasoning – Store bought seasoning is fine or use our favorite homemade Italian Seasoning blend.
Mozzarella – You can cut it into pieces or use mini balls of cheese.
Basil – Make sure to use fresh basil leaves sliced into thin pieces.
Romaine lettuce – Feel free to swap this out for any salad greens you like, such as spinach or spring mix.
Cook the chicken:
Sear the chicken breasts in olive oil on the stove top. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Then add balsamic vinegar to the pan, cover and cook until the chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.
Make the dressing: Put the dressing ingredients in a mason jar. We used balsamic, olive oil, garlic, dijon mustard and Italian seasonings. Shake the jar until ingredients are well combined.
Assemble the salad:
Slice the chicken into strips. Add to a bowl with romaine lettuce, sliced grape tomatoes, basil, avocados and mozzarella. Drizzle on the dressing and toss to combine.
Tips and Tricks
- Feel free to make a double or triple batch of the balsamic dressing! It stays good in the fridge for up to 2 weeks and tastes delicious on all kinds of salads.
- Make sure to check the chicken for doneness with a meat thermometer. The internal temperature needs to reach at least 165 F for safe consumption.
This salad is best assembled just before eating. You can prep the vegetables and dressing in advance and store them in the fridge until ready to assemble. You can make the chicken ahead of time too, but I prefer the taste served warm versus chilled.
Yes, this salad recipe is low in net carbs and keto approved. It’s also gluten free and has no added sugars.
Balled cheese or large pieces of mozzarella are the traditional choice for an Italian caprese salad. There’s no reason you couldn’t use shredded cheese instead if that’s what you have on hand. It’ll still taste good!
More Low Carb Dinners
For the Chicken
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
For the Dressing
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoon dijon mustard
For the Salad
- 6 cups romaine lettuce, roughly chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/2 cup mozzarella, cut into pieces or mini balls
- 1/4 cup basil, thinly sliced
- 2 avocados, sliced
- Place your chicken breasts into a ziploc bag, and pound them to about ¼-½ inch thick using a meat tenderizer. Alternately, you can slice then in half lengthwise, making thin cutlets.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the olive oil and heat until shimmering.
- Add the chicken in a single layer and sprinkle with half of the salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Cook without touching for about two minutes, you'll notice the edges of the chicken cooking, while only the center is pink.
- Flip the chicken over and sprinkle with the remaining salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Cover with a lid and cook an additional 3-4 minutes. Check the chicken for doneness, the temperature should read 165°F.
- While the chicken is cooking, combine dressing ingredients in a small mason jar (or bowl). Secure with lid and shake vigorously to combine (or use a whisk).
- To assemble salad, slice cooked chicken into strips. Add romaine lettuce to large bowl (or make individual bowls). Top with sliced chicken, tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, and avocados. Drizzle with dressing and serve.
- Dressing will stay fresh for about 2 weeks. Store in refrigerator in jar with lid.
- Romaine could be used alone, or add in spring mix, spinach, kale, etc.
- Use our homemade Italian Seasoning for the chicken!
Healthy and flavorful Chicken Caprese Salad is the perfect quick lunch or dinner. Tossed with a sugar free balsamic vinaigrette, this salad recipe makes it easy to eat more greens!