A bowl of flavorful Chicken Fajita Soup is just what you need to warm you up! Made in the Instant Pot, this creamy, spicy low carb soup recipe will be ready to eat in no time.
Low Carb Soup Recipe
If you think meals without sugar or flour have to taste bland or like “health food”, this Chicken Fajita Soup is about to prove you wrong.
All the Mexican spices in this recipe combined with tender chicken, and creamy broth make for a meal that’ll have you scraping your bowl to get every last bite.
You can brown the chicken right in the pot before pressure cooking which helps keep the dishes to a minimum (win-win!). With lots of cheesy flavor and juicy chicken, Chicken Fajita Soup is a hearty meal all in one bowl.
- Chicken – Use boneless skinless chicken breast (uncooked) that’s been cut into bite sized pieces.
- Chicken broth – Check the label to make sure it’s free of added sugar and flour. Vegetable broth works as a substitute.
- Heavy cream – Use real heavy whipping cream, not milk or half and half for best results.
- Cheese – I recommend buying cheese in blocks and shredding it yourself so it melts into the soup easier.
- Diced tomatoes – Leave the juices in with the tomatoes (do not drain) and check the label to make sure the canned tomatoes don’t have any added sugar.
- Spices- cumin, oregano, paprika, garlic powder, salt. Swap these for our homemade fajita seasoning mix.
Step by Step Instructions
STEP 1. Brown the chicken
Saute the diced chicken with onions, garlic and olive oil in the bottom of your preheated instant pot on the SAUTE setting. Cook until the onions are translucent (the chicken will not be fully cooked at this point).
STEP 2. Add remaining ingredients
Add the fresh green pepper and red pepper to the pot along with all the powdered spices and seasonings. Stir the broth into the chicken mixture, then add the water. Using a wooden spoon, deglaze the pot by scrape off any pieces of meat or spice stuck to the sides and bottom.
Stir in the tomatoes and green chilies.
STEP 3. Pressure Cook
Put the lid on the Instant Pot and select a cook time of 15 minutes on HIGH. When the cooking time ends, let the pot release pressure naturally for 10 minutes, then turn the valve to VENTING to quickly release remaining pressure.
STEP 4. Garnish and serve
When the pressure is released, open the pot and add the cream cheese, heavy cream, and shredded cheese. Turn pot on “SAUTE” and stir continuously until the cheeses have melted.
Chicken Fajita Soup tastes amazing served just as is but I can never resist adding a few more toppings. Garnish bowls of this soup with fresh cilantro, sour cream, guacamole, or more shredded cheese and enjoy!
Also delicious with cilantro lime cauliflower rice for a heartier soup!
While this soup packs in a little heat, we didn’t find it overwhelmingly spicy. If you prefer less spice, you can use fewer green chilies and cut back on (or skip) the red pepper flakes.
Store leftovers covered in the fridge and the soup will stay good for about 3 days.
The most likely reason is that there are pieces of browned chicken, onions or garlic still stuck to the bottom or sides of the pan. Be sure to thoroughly scrape off any of those stubborn stuck pieces before pressure cooking (this is called “deglazing”).
- Low Carb Pizza Casserole
- Sheet Pan Roasted Vegetables
- Big Mac Salad
- Chaffle Recipe
- Instant Pot Taco Chili
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 cans (14 oz) diced tomatoes, do not drain
- 1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilies
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- Add olive oil into the instant pot, press the SAUTE button and let it heat up. Once heated, add in chicken, onion and garlic. Stir and cook until chicken is slightly browned and the onions start to become translucent, about 4-5 minutes. The chicken will not be fully cooked at this point, you’re just sealing the moisture into the meat. Turn Instant Pot off.
- Add green pepper and red pepper and all of the seasonings to the chicken mixture and stir until combined. Next, stir in the chicken broth and water. Scrape the bottom of the pot to deglaze the pan, making sure all the browned bits are fully removed (this prevents the burn notice). Add in the tomatoes and chilies, then stir once again.
- Place the lid on and make sure the valve on top is set to SEALING. Press the Manual button, or High Pressure and adjust the cook time to 15 minutes. Once it is finished, let it naturally release pressure for ten minutes, then manually release the pressure by turning the valve to VENTING.
- After the pressure is released, open the lid and add in the cream cheese, heavy cream, and shredded cheese. Turn pot on SAUTE and stir continuously until all the cheeses have melted.
- Serve immediately on its own or top with condiments such as cilantro, cheddar cheese, avocado, and sour cream!
- Check all labels for no added sugar, and no added flour (be sure the chicken broth is gluten free)
- Store leftover soup in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Recipe tested in 6qt Instant Pot
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 416Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 144mgSodium: 785mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 36g
Spicy soup with all the Mexican flavors you love that’s also low-carb, sugar free, flour free and full of good-for-you protein. Put your Instant Pot to use and try this Low Carb Chicken Fajita Soup for dinner this week!