Wondering what to do with those Chaffles? Check out this easy keto dinner idea the whole family will love! A Chicken Cheddar Chaffle Sandwich is full of tender chicken with a zesty flair from Dill pickles.
Easy Low Carb Dinner
When it comes to meal times, finding something everyone in the family will love is a must. The last thing I want to do is make five different entrees when I’m trying to get dinner on the table in a hurry but when your household has lots of dietary needs, that can be tricky.
Chicken Cheddar Chaffle Sandwiches are one of those dishes that’s a surefire hit. Gluten free, low carb and keto friendly, these sandwiches check off plenty of boxes, but that wouldn’t matter if they weren’t delicious.
Thankfully, these chaffle sandwiches are filled with the most succulent and tender chicken, the tang of dill pickles and a little hot sauce for an extra kick! This is one of my family’s favorite dinners at the moment–so tasty we eat it at least once a week.
You’ll love how quickly it comes together and how easy Chicken Cheddar Chaffle Sandwiches are to tweak for your family’s taste buds!
- Chaffles – Just like it sounds: a waffle made from cheese and eggs! Use my recipe for Chaffles for the best slightly bready chaffle to hold your sandwich together.
- Chicken breast – Substitute with another cut of chicken if preferred.
- Baby dill pickles – Check the label to be sure there are no added sugars.
- Tomatoes – Using tomatoes on the sandwich adds a negligible amount of carbs. The taste is worth it but, if you prefer, feel free to omit them.
- Sriracha – A tiny bit of this hot chili sauce drizzled over adds a ton of flavor. If you prefer less heat or need to avoid sugar completely, go ahead and leave it off or sub with a sugar free hot sauce.
- Lettuce – Spinach or arugula leaves make good, more nutrient dense substitute.
- Olive oil – Or substitute avocado oil.
- OPTIONAL- season the chicken with homemade taco seasoning and add guacamole or avocado for a tex mex version! Add a few strips of oven cooked bacon too!
Tips & Tricks
Make the chaffles first. The sandwiches taste amazing with warm chicken and chaffles at room temperature, so you’ll want to prep the chaffles before cooking the meat.
Check the temperature. I use a meat thermometer to ensure my chicken gets cooked through. When it’s reached 165 F it’s ready to remove from the stove top.
Don’t have a thermometer? Check the temperature of the chicken but piercing the chicken breast to look at the insides. It should be entirely white and the juices will run clear. If you see any pink, cook for another minute or two and check again.
Save the juices. Pour any leftover juices from the pan onto the chicken breast as it cools. This will marinate your grilled chicken with even more delicious flavor!
Check all Labels. When choosing a no flour and no sugar lifestyle, be sure to check those labels for hidden ingredients. Make sure they say “no sugar added” especially on the sriracha!
You can eat the Chicken Cheddar Chaffle Sandwiches warm or cold, depending on your preference! I love them best when the chaffles are room temperature and the chicken is warm.
Yes! Feel free to make the chaffles the day before and store until ready to use in your sandwiches. You can even grill the chicken in advance then store in the fridge until ready to use for a cold sandwich option!
I would store the chicken and chaffles separately in an airtight container in the fridge, then assemble the sandwiches just before serving. Chaffles and chicken will keep well chilled for up to 3 days.
Yes, this recipe is considered keto friendly. Some who follow a keto lifestyle prefer to avoid tomatoes and sriracha due to the small amount of carbs they contain. However, used sparingly like in these sandwiches, they’re both acceptable by my count!
Chaffle sandwiches can be made with chicken thighs or any other boneless cut of the bird you like.
- Low Carb Pizza Casserole
- Gluten Free Swedish Meatballs
- Low Carb Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Cucumber Tomato Salad
- 2- 8 oz chicken breast, or cut of choice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil, for coating the pan
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups of cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 tsp almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 8 tsp mayo
- 4 baby dill pickles, sliced
- 8 lettuces leaves
- 8-10 tomato slices (about two tomatoes)
- Sriracha sauce, optional
To cook the chicken breast:
- Use a meat tenderizer to level the chicken breast to a uniform thickness. (To keep things clean, place the chicken inside a disposable plastic bag). Season the chicken with salt and pepper to your preference.
- Coat a medium non-stick pan with oil or cooking spray and warm on medium heat. Add the chicken to the pan and cook until the bottom is a golden brown, about 6-8 minutes. Flip and cook the other side until it matches. Using an instant-read thermometer, check that the internal heat of the chicken is 165 ℉. Once cooked, remove from the pan and set aside on a plate.
- If there is any oil or residual juice inside the pan, pour over the chicken to marinate the flavor. Once cool enough to handle, slice thinly.
For the Chaffles
- Plug in your mini-waffle iron to bring to temperature.
- Add the egg, shredded cheddar cheese, almond flour, and baking powder to a mixing bowl, and whisk until combined.
- Once the iron is hot, pour a little less than ¼ cup of mixture on the iron and cook until golden. Remove and set aside. Repeat with the rest of the mixture.
To assemble the sandwich:
- Spread ½ tsp of mayo on the inside of one chaffle, add pickle slices, place lettuce on top, then layer on the tomato slices, followed by the chicken breast.
- Spread another ½ tsp of mayo on the second chaffle, drizzle sriracha optional and place the second chaffle on top. Bite in and enjoy!
- Do I eat these warm or cold? Your preference! I enjoy warm chicken on a room temperature chaffle.
- Substitutions: Swap out olive oil for avocado oil. Use spinach or arugula in place of lettuce.
- Temperature: If you don't have a thermometer, check inside of chicken after cooking. If it's pink, cook longer.
Serving Size:1 sandwich
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 614Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 342mgSodium: 1101mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 56g
Wondering what to make for dinner? Give these easy, flavorful Chicken Cheddar Chaffle Sandwiches a Try! With keto friendly ingredients and perfectly cooked chicken as the centerpiece, this low carb meal is a crowd pleaser!