Chimichurri Shrimp is a healthy meal with a lots of fresh, zesty flavor. Shrimp is marinated in a cilantro chimichurri sauce then lightly grilled for a delicious easy meal that’s ready in minutes!
Why this Recipe is Best
- Chimichurri marinade gives the shrimp a zesty flavor and vibrant color.
- Shrimp cooks to perfection in just 2 minutes on the grill!
- You can turn leftover marinade as a shrimp dipping sauce. No wasting all that good flavor.
- This shrimp recipe is low carb, keto approved and dairy free.
This grilled shrimp recipe is hands down my new favorite way to eat shrimp. While some cooking methods make shrimp tough and rubbery, a quick turn on the grill makes them pop with flavorful juices when you take a bite.
The shrimp provides the perfect vehicle for chimichurri sauce, with all its zesty aromatic taste.
Large shrimp – They should be shelled and deveined. If using frozen shrimp, thaw them ahead of time.
Cilantro and parsley – These provide much of the flavor and color in the chimichurri sauce. Make sure to use fresh herbs with the stems removed.
Crushed red pepper flakes – This gives the chimichurri shrimp a little kick! For less heat, you can reduce (or even omit) the red pepper flakes.
Tips and Tricks
- Let the shrimp marinate for 30 minutes for best flavor. As the shrimp marinates it absorbs the flavors of the chimichurri sauce.
- Be careful not to overcook. Shrimp only need 2 or 3 minutes per side on a charcoal grill or indoor grill pan. If left on the heat too long the shrimp will turn rubbery.
- Reserve the remaining chimichurri marinade and serve it as a dipping sauce for the shrimp.
- Not a fan of shrimp? Try our chimichurri as a marinade for steak or vegetables instead! Would be a delicious dipper (or marinade) for our grilled chicken tenders!
Chimichurri Shrimp tastes bests when cooked outdoors over a charcoal or gas grill. If you can’t get to an outdoor grill, you can cook this shrimp over a stove top grill pan with great results too.
This shrimp is delicious as a main course over cauliflower rice, with grilled veggies or with your favorite side salad. It also makes a fabulous appetizer for your next special occasion!
The flavor won’t be quite the same but you can substitute more parsley for the cilantro in this sauce. In fact, many authentic Argentinian chimichurris use only parsley and no cilantro at all!
I don’t recommend marinating shrimp overnight. Left in sauce too long, the delicate structure of shrimp begins to breakdown making it soft and mushy.
You can make chimichurri sauce ahead of time and keep it sealed in the fridge for up to 3 days. Do NOT grill the shrimp ahead of time–it’s best served right away!
- Bruschetta Salmon
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Keto Enchilada Casserole
- Zucchini Lasagna
- Egg Bites– great for breakfast or dinner!
- 1 pound large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 3/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Blend cilantro, parsley, dried oregano, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, red pepper flakes and salt in a food processor until smooth.
- Marinate the shrimp in the chimichurri sauce for at least 30 minutes. Reserve some of the sauce for basting and dipping.
- Grill the shrimps for 2 - 3 minutes per side. Take care not to overcook as shrimps get tough & rubbery.
- Remove shrimp from the grill and baste with some of the remaining chimichurri sauce.
- Serve any remaining chimichurri as a dipping sauce.
- Chimichurri can also be served with grilled steaks and grilled sausages. It makes a fantastic marinade for chicken tenders, pork, or vegetables.
- The shrimps taste best if grilled over charcoal outside but if you don’t have a grill or you want to make this
recipe after the summer months you can use a stove top grill pan.
Serving Size:1 skewer
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 388Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 24gCholesterol: 239mgSodium: 1400mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 27g
Keto friendly and packed with protein, Chimichurri Shrimp might be your new favorite summer meal! Served as an appetizer or main course, it’s an impressive dish that’s unbelievably easy to make.