Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas are an easy weeknight meal the whole family loves. All you need is this fajita seasoning mix to turn chicken and peppers into delicious fajita bowls!
Why this Recipe Works
Sheet pan meals are an absolute lifesaver. You can just toss everything on the pan, pop it in the oven and sit down to a healthy homemade meal in less than 30 minutes. (you may remember these sheet pan roasted vegetables)!
The best part? No extra pots and pans to wash!
This Sheet Pan Chicken recipe is an oven baked take on chicken fajitas.
- Baking cooks the chicken to juicy perfection.
- Peppers and onions are roasted right with chicken.
- Serve over cauliflower rice for a healthy low carb meal.
Love sheet pan meals? Try our easy garlic butter salmon, made on a sheet pan with roasted vegetables.
- Fajita Seasoning Mix – This homemade fajita seasoning mix gives the chicken and peppers a robust flavor–and it takes just a minute to mix together.
- Chicken thighs – These contain more fat than chicken breasts which makes the sheet pan fajitas oh-so juicy!
- Bell peppers- I use a combination of yellow, red and green peppers for a mix of color.
- Lime juice – Squeezed onto the meat after cooking, it adds acidity to the dish to complement the savory and spicy flavors.
- Cilantro – While optional, I love the pop of fresh flavor this herb brings to the meal as a garnish.
Prepare the ingredients:
Mix the spices together and set aside. Cut the seeded peppers and onions into strips. Slice the raw chicken into strips about half an inch long.
Assemble on the pan:
Spread the onions, peppers and chicken evenly over the baking sheet. Sprinkle pressed garlic and seasoning mix over the whole pan.
Drizzle olive oil over everything. Toss the ingredients a few times to get everything evenly coated in oil.
Bake until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 F. Give the contents of the pan a stir every few minutes to help them cook evenly.
Squeeze lime juice over the chicken before serving. Garnish with chopped cilantro.
Tips and Tricks
- Toppings: These chicken fajitas are even tastier served with avocado slices and sour cream! Or serve with guacamole and cheese!
- Storing leftovers: Keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Enjoy leftovers reheated within 3 -4 days.
- Use a meat thermometer: To ensure food safety, use thermometer to check the temperature of the chicken. It usually take 15 to 20 minutes to cook through, but your time may vary depending on the size of your chicken strips and your oven.
- In a bowl: Serving in a bowl makes these low carb and keto friendly too. Learn how to make cauliflower rice and enjoy a complete meal!
This recipe makes a great make-ahead meal! Add the chicken, onions, peppers and seasoning to the sheet pan. Cover with foil and store in the fridge until you’re ready to cook it. Add the olive oil just before putting the pan in the oven.
Yes, this recipe will work if you use chicken breasts in place of the thighs. I find that chicken breasts don’t get as juicy and flavorful in comparison, but they are still delicious.
We tend to eat our keto Chicken Fajita dinners over Cauliflower Rice. They’re also fabulous served on a bed of mixed greens or shredded lettuce to keep your meal flour free and low carb. No tortilla needed.
- Grilled Chicken Tenders
- Keto Tuscan Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Taco Bowl
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Swedish Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Taco Meat
- Crack Chicken
- Avocado Tacos
- 2 Tablespoons fajita seasoning mix
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Fresh chopped cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400℉. Add chili powder, cumin, paprika, coriander, kosher salt and black pepper to a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Remove and discard the tops, seeds and membranes of the bell peppers and cut them into ¼” to ½” strips.
- Slice the onion into strips and then spread the pepper and onion strips onto a rimmed baking sheet.
- Cut the chicken thighs into ½ “ strips and add them to the baking sheet.
- Add the garlic and seasoning mix to the baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat, making sure to spread in an even layer, not overlapping the pieces of chicken.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the internal temperature of the chicken pieces reaches 165 and the peppers have softened.
- Remove and drizzle with lime juice and garnish with fresh cilantro.
- Serve over a bed of cauliflower rice and with fajita toppings including fresh avocado and sour cream.
- Chicken breast can be used in place of the thighs. The thighs are juicer and will retain more flavor.
- The peppers, onion, chicken and seasoning can be added to a baking sheet and covered until ready to put in the oven. Wait to put the olive oil and garlic on until right before baking.
- Storage: Store leftovers in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
- Use our homemade fajita seasoning mix instead of the spices.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 326Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 184mgSodium: 475mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 38g
Perfectly seasoned and bursting with flavor, this Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas recipe makes it easy to get dinner on the table, even on busy days.