This Chicken Mushroom recipe is a creamy, cheesy, garlicky low-carb casserole made in one pan. Juicy chicken gets smothered with a savory mushroom gravy to create a keto friendly meal that pairs beautifully with all your favorite side dishes!
Why This Chicken Dish is Best
If you’re looking for the perfect chicken with mushroom gravy, it’s time to call of the hunt. This chicken mushroom recipe takes fresh mushrooms and chicken breasts (or thighs) and brings them together in one pan for a casserole that’s hearty, satisfying and easy to make.
- An easy 30 minute meal the whole family will love.
- High protein, low carb and packed with flavor.
- Goes straight from stove top to oven!
You’ll love how easy it is to clean up after cooking this recipe, too. Just scrub your skillet and you’re good to go!
Making today’s recipe is simple enough with ingredients you may already have in your pantry. Check labels to be sure no added sugars are included. Scroll down all the way to the recipe card for a complete list with exact measurements.
- Chicken – I used chicken breasts this time, but boneless thighs work just as well.
- Sliced mushrooms – You can use button mushrooms, portabellos or whatever you have on hand.
- Garlic – It needs to be finely minced or pressed with a garlic press for this recipe. You can also buy already minced garlic in a jar at most gorcery stores.
- Beef broth – Chicken or vegetable broth could be substituted.
- Cheese – A combination of mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses adds the perfect bubbly topping!
- Red pepper flakes – These are added at the end for a bit of heat to complement the creamy gravy, but completely optional.
Tips and Tricks
- Brown the mushrooms and garlic before the chicken. The flavors will linger in the pan, making the chicken taste even better.
- Do not overcook chicken. The chicken just needs to be seared on both sides before you remove it from the pan to make the gravy. You will add it back to the gravy and let it cook the rest of the way in the oven.
- Add cheese at the end. After baking the chicken in mushroom gravy, sprinkle grated cheese on top. Return the skillet to the oven and bake another couple of minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Garnishes. Serve this chicken mushroom casserole with fresh parsley and red pepper flakes. Delicious!
- More gravy ideas. Try our salisbury steak recipe if you love gravy with mushrooms.
The variety of flavors in this chicken recipe make it perfect for pairing with almost any low carb side dish you can imagine.
If cauliflower isn’t your thing, or you’re looking for something different, try this recipe for Roasted Radishes. It looks and taste similar to roasted potatoes with fewer carbs and calories.
Zoodles (zucchini noodles) are another keto approved side dish you’ll enjoy with this chicken mushroom dinner!
To make this recipe without an oven safe skillet, follow the instructions in the recipe card up to step 4 with a regular frying pan or skillet. Then transfer the chicken and mushroom gravy to an oven safe baking pan (like a casserole dish) and bake as directed. It’s just one extra step and tastes just as good as making it in a skillet.
Yep! This recipe works with any cut of boneless, skinless chicken. Use chicken thighs, chicken breasts or chicken tenders. It all tastes wonderful baked in the savory mushroom gravy.
An oven thermometer is the best (and safest) way to check chicken for doneness. Insert it into the center of the chicken breast (or thigh) toward the end of baking. When the thermometer reads 165 degrees F, the chicken is fully cooked and safe to eat.
Transfer leftovers to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or oven before enjoying.
More Easy Chicken Dinners
- Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings
- Crack Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Alfredo Zoodles
- Cilantro Lime Chicken
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Salad
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or thighs)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 8 ounce sliced mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed (minced)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 Tablespoons parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Prep the chicken breasts by pounding them to about 1/2 inch thickness (or slice to make thinner breasts). Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Set aside.
- In a large, oven safe skillet, heat 2 Tablespoons butter over medium high heat. Add mushrooms and garlic, and allow to brown for about 4-5 minutes, stirring as needed so they brown on both sides. Remove mushrooms from skillet.
- Add remaining 2 Tablespoons butter to skillet. Over medium high heat, add the chicken breasts. Brown for about 3-4 minutes on each side. The chicken may still be undercooked, but we will finish cooking in the oven. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- After both sides of the chicken have been browned, remove chicken from skillet. Add beef broth. Over medium high heat, cook broth while scraping the bits of browned meat from the bottom of the pan (deglazing the pot). These bits add flavor to our mushroom gravy! After a minute or so of scraping, add in thyme and heavy whipping cream. Cook just until bubbly (DO NOT BOIL).
- Once the broth has started to bubble, remove from heat. Add in the chicken and mushrooms. Place skillet in preheated oven and cook for about 10-15 minutes (until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Top with mozzarella and parmesan cheese and return to oven for an additional 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with red pepper flakes, if desired.
- Chicken thighs can be used instead of chicken breast. Or choose chicken tenders instead!
- If you don't have an oven safe skillet, after step 4, transfer everything to an oven safe baking dish and continue as directed.
- Serve with mashed cauliflower or cauliflower rice.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 419Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 157mgSodium: 761mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 42g
Tender chicken, creamy gravy and a cheesy topping make this easy low-carb Chicken Mushroom recipe an instant favorite!