Skip the hoagie roll and grab a fork! Philly Cheesesteak Casserole offers a bread free take on Philadelphia’s signature sandwich. Made in a skillet, this cheesy low carb casserole is ready in under 30 minutes.
Looking for more easy skillet dinners? This Chicken Spinach Skillet is another low carb favorite! Or give our beef taco skillet recipe a try next!
What is a Philly Cheesesteak?
A Philly Cheesesteak is a sandwich made with thinly sliced beef, grilled or caramelized onions and cheese. Traditionally served hot on a long hoagie roll, the cheesesteak sandwich owes its popularity (and its name) to the city of brotherly love.
This easy skillet casserole lets you enjoy the savory, cheesy taste of a classic Philadelphia Cheesesteak without all the carbs. Thin slices of steak are cooked in a skillet with peppers, onions and plenty of gooey cheese.
You won’t even miss the bread.
- Sirloin steak. You can find shaved steak slices prepackaged at most grocery stores. Or, ask your butcher to slice a cut of sirloin steak as thinly as possible for this recipe. Ground beef and deli sliced roast beef can be used if preferred.
- Steak seasoning. I use McCormick brand to season the beef in my Philly Cheesesteak Casserole. If you use another brand of seasoning, just remember to check the label to ensure no added sugars. (You’d be surprised how many of them sneak it in!)
- Provolone cheese. This is the traditional cheese of choice for an authentic Philly Cheesesteak. Other sliced low moisture cheeses like Mozzarella and Monterey Jack cheese can be used if you prefer.
Step by Step Instructions
- Cook the steak. If you’re using the shaved steak, this only takes a couple minutes in the skillet. Make sure you don’t overcook (leave some pink) so that it can finish cooking in the oven.
- Cook vegetables. After removing the steak from the skillet, cook the vegetables.
- Add cheese. Add Worcestershire sauce and cream cheese. Add steak back to the skillet and stir to cover it with the cheesy sauce.
- Bake. Top the skillet with slices of provolone. Bake until the cheese is hot and bubbly.
Tips and Tricks
- Can’t find shaved steak slices? Ask your butcher to make you shaved steak using sirloin.
- Cheesesteak casserole is best served piping hot soon after it comes out of the oven. Store any leftovers covered in the fridge and reheat in the oven or microwave before enjoying.
- Not a fan of mushrooms? Feel free to leave them out of this casserole recipe.
If your skillet isn’t oven safe, transfer the contents of the skillet to a casserole dish before baking. Top with provolone slices and bake as directed.
Philly Cheesesteak Casserole pairs perfectly with a side of Cauliflower Mash. A simple salad with a sugar free dressing or a Cucumber Tomato salad are delicious choices too.
I have made this casserole in a 12 inch cast iron skillet as well as a 10 inch oven proof enamel skillet. Both work well! You just want to ensure you have enough room for all the beef, cheese and veggies to fit comfortably.
Low in net carbs, this Philly Cheesesteak Casserole is keto approved!
More Easy Dinner Recipes
- Keto Zuppa Toscana Soup
- Grilled Chicken Tenders
- Keto Tuscan Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Taco Bowl
- Pesto Hummus
Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
Cheesy low carb Philly Cheesesteak Casserole made in a skillet. Easy weeknight dinner in under 30 minutes.
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 pounds shaved sirloin steak
- 1 1/2 teaspoons steak seasoning (I use McCormick)
- 1 green pepper, seeded and sliced thin
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced thin
- 8 ounce mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 6 ounce cream cheese, softened
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- In a large, oven safe skillet (cast iron works great too), heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil over medium heat.
- Add shaved steak and sprinkle with steak seasoning. Using a pair of tongs, cook steak until just a little pink is left (don't cook all the way as the steak will continue to cook and we will put back on heat). Use the tongs to move the steak around in the pan constantly. This will take about 5 minutes.
- Remove steak from skillet and plate on a plate. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F at this point.
- Add the remaining 2 Tablespoons of olive oil to the skillet. Add green pepper, onion, mushrooms, and salt. Heat over medium heat, stirring often. Cook until vegetables soften and onions caramelize, about 10-12 minutes (you want them REALLY soft).
- Remove from heat. Add the worcestershire sauce and cream cheese to the skillet, stir until mostly melted. Return the steak to the skillet and stir until cheesy and combined.
- Top with slices of provolone. Slide into preheated oven and cook for about 3-5 minutes until cheese is bubbly and melted. Serve hot!
- I buy my packages of sliced steak in the grocery store, however if you can't find them, most butchers with make you shaved steak using sirloin. Just ask!
- If your skillet is NOT oven safe, you can slide your cheesy beef (up until step 6) into a 2 quart casserole baking dish, top with slices of cheese and place in the oven to cook (step 7).
- See blog post for more recipe tips and tricks.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 703Total Fat: 51gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 193mgSodium: 851mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 53g
Philly Cheesesteak Casserole is a hearty one pan meal you can get on the table in no time!