This Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf recipe gives the familiar comfort food an upgrade. Made with three kinds of meat and a layer of cheese, this keto meatloaf tastes as impressive as it looks!
Can’t get enough bacon? Try our Bacon Cheeseburger Zucchini Boats next.
Why this Recipe is Best
- A combination of pork and beef keeps this meatloaf moist.
- The bacon weave gives the loaf even more juicy flavor.
- No breadcrumb meatloaf is low carb, keto and gluten free!
This meatloaf is nothing like the classic meatloaf recipe you may remember from childhood.
Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf is packed with juicy flavor–plus cheese! It gets oh-so-juicy and moist as it bakes, thanks to all that bacon it’s wrapped inside.
The ultimate dinner for meat lovers! And it’s low carb and keto friendly too!
Ground pork and beef – We use half beef and half pork to make this meatloaf. Use high fat meats (not lean) for best results.
Shredded cheese – We use cheddar cheese to give the meatloaf a cheesy layer at the center. Both white cheddar and yellow cheddar are delicious here.
Eggs – While other meatloaves use bread crumbs or flour to hold their shape, this low carb version relies on eggs. The eggs give the meat loaf structure so it doesn’t fall apart when sliced.
Bacon – Again, you’ll want to use regular high fat bacon strips, as opposed to lean or low fat alternatives.
Tips and Tricks
- Shaping the meatloaf: I like to place the meatloaf in a loaf pan when I shape it. Place the bacon weave on the bottom of the pan, then add the meatloaf mixture on top. Put a baking dish on top and flip the pan to transfer the meatloaf with the weave on top.
- Prevent burning bacon: Check on the meatloaf as it bakes to make sure the bacon doesn’t cook to quickly and end up burnt. If the bacon starts to look too brown, cover it with aluminum foil for the remainder of baking time.
- Use a meat thermometer: Check that the meatloaf has cooked through the center to an internal temperature of at least 160°F. I recommend an oven safe thermometer that you can insert into the meatloaf before it bakes.
- Let rest: Leave the cooked meatloaf to rest for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
For an extra smoky flavor, brush bacon wrapped meatloaf with your favorite sugar free BBQ sauce before serving.
We love pairing this meatloaf with Cauliflower Mash and a side of steamed vegetables. These Roasted Radishes or a serving of Sheet Pan Roasted Vegetables would be perfect side dishes for this meatloaf too.
Whip up a batch of gluten free garlic bread to serve with dinner tonight!
Use high fat meat to keep meatloaf moist. In this recipe, the bacon wrapping and addition of ground pork to the beef add more fat so the meatloaf doesn’t dry out while baking.
Meatloaf often becomes dense when the meat mixture is overworked. Mix the meatloaf ingredients together with your hands just until they hold together and can be shaped.
This bacon wrapped keto meatloaf should be cooked uncovered. This allows the bacon to get crispy. That said, if your bacon is getting brown and crispy before the center of the meatloaf is fully cooked, you can cover it with foil until fully cooked.
Yes, this keto meatloaf recipe can be prepared up to 2 days in advance of serving. Follow the recipe as written up until baking. Store the unbaked meatloaf in a zipped freezer bag in the fridge. When ready to eat, follow the original cooking instructions and enjoy!
More No Sugar No Flour Recipes
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 12 ounces sliced bacon (approx 12 strips)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a bowl, combine the beef, pork, cheese, onion, eggs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and tomato paste. Mix with your hands, but try not to overwork the meatloaf. Set aside.
- Grease a piece of parchment paper with a little oil and lay out half of the strips of bacon side by side vertically. Pieces need to be laid out very close but not overlapping with the fatty part all facing the same direction.
- Create an “over and under” weave by folding back just the ends of every other vertical bacon and laying a slice of bacon horizontally then unfolding the folded ends.
- For the second layer of horizontal bacon, fold from the bottom end the strips that you skipped for the first layer. Continue folding alternately from the bottom end until you finish all your bacon. Flip "weave" into a loaf pan, remove parchment paper.
- Add the meatloaf mixture on top of the bacon weave. Fold any excess bacon over the top.
- Place a large baking dish over the top of the meatloaf and flip so the weave is on top. Make sure the sides are sealed up with the bacon ends all tucked under the meat mixture and no cheese is showing on any side.
- Bake for 60-80 minutes. Make sure the bacon is not burning by checking after 45 mins. Cover with aluminum foil for the remaining cooking time if the bacon is getting too brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest about 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
- Be sure to check with a meat thermometer to make sure the meatloaf is cooked through. The internal temperature should register 160°F when inserted into the center of the loaf. You may also use an oven-safe thermometer that can be placed in the meatloaf before it goes into the oven.
- How do you keep the meatloaf moist? Use high-fat meat. The bacon wrap and the ground pork added to the beef adds fat and will keep the meatloaf moist.
- What can you serve with keto meatloaf? You can brush the meatloaf with sugar-free BBQ sauce for extra smoky flavor. Serve it with steamed veggies like broccoli or green beans. Or you can serve it over a bed of mashed cauliflower with a side of green salad.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 607Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 206mgSodium: 1079mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 50g
Sorry, mom. Bacon Wrapped Keto Meatloaf is the BEST meatloaf recipe you’ll ever make. Keto friendly and low carb, it gives the classic comfort food a delicious twist!