Learn how to make ice cream in a mason jar with no added sugars! This Mason Jar Ice Cream recipe is easy to make with flavor options to satisfy any sweet tooth.
Giving up added sugars and flours doesn’t mean saying goodbye to ice cream habit. This all natural Banana Ice Cream tastes just like soft serve! And don’t forget to whip up some sugar free chocolate chip cookies too!
Why This Ice Cream Is Best
As much as I love our dairy free banana soft serve, sometimes only the real deal will do. Enter: sugar free mason jar ice cream!
- No ice cream machine needed.
- Only 5 ingredients.
- Keto approved ice cream recipe.
- Super soft and creamy taste.
- Vanilla, chocolate or strawberry – Choose one flavor or try them all!
We eat ice cream all year long. But when summer rolls around, I can hardly let a single day go by without indulging in a scoop or two (or three) at the end of the day.
With this recipe, I can enjoy a rich, creamy frozen dessert while knowing I’m not adding any additional carbs or sugars to my diet.
It’s the perfect dessert after a dish of keto tuscan chicken or swedish meatballs.
Making ice cream in a mason jar is easy as can be. Here’s what you need:
- Heavy cream – Only the REAL deal will do! The milk fats are key to thick, rich, flavorful homemade ice cream.
- Powdered monk fruit – An all natural calorie free sweetener with the consistency and sweetness of powdered sugar.
- Vanilla extract – Provides a flavor base that’s delicious on its own and blends well with the optional flavor add-ins.
- Vodka – A spoonful blended with the other ingredients helps lower the freezing point of the ice cream so it remains soft and scoopable, unlike most store bought sugar free ice creams.
Flavors of Ice Cream
I tried a few different flavor options for this keto ice cream. Each and everyone tasted wonderful, so you really can’t go wrong!
- Chocolate: Add 2 teaspoons of unsweetened cocoa powder to the mason jar ice cream ingredients. Shake and freeze as directed in the recipe card.
- Chocolate chip: Shake the ice cream mixture then add 2 tablespoons of sugar free chocolate chips before freezing.
- Strawberry: Add 2 tablespoons of unsweetened freeze dried strawberries to the mixture after shaking.
Since this recipe only makes a couple of servings of ice cream, I like to make three batches—one of each flavor—so everyone in the house can choose their favorite for dessert!
I recommend a pint sized jar with a wide mouth. Standard canning jars are perfect for making homemade ice cream.
If you don’t have a mason jar, you can combine the ingredients in a freezer safe bag with a zip top instead. Make sure it’s completely sealed before shaking and freezing.
If you’ve ever had store bought no-sugar ice cream you may notice it’s harder and less creamy than its sugary counterparts. Adding a splash of booze helps keep the ice cream soft and easier to scoop.
Because alcohol freezes at a much lower temperature than water, the vodka prevents as many large ice crystals from forming in the ice cream. The result is a homemade sugar free ice cream that stays soft, creamy and scoopable even after days in the freezer.
Of course! The consistency will be firmer and more “icy” but it definitely still tastes delightful.
Store this homemade ice cream in a mason jar in the freezer. It’s best when eaten and enjoyed within one week.
More Sugar Free Desserts
- Yogurt Popsicles
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cookies
- Berry Crumble Bars
- No Bake Strawberry Cheesecake
- Blueberry Cake
Mason Jar Ice Cream
The BEST mason jar ice cream with no added sugars, flours or artificial ingredients. Keep a jar or two of this keto ice cream in the freezer for all those late night dessert cravings!
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tablespoons powdered monk fruit sweetener
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon vodka, optional
- In a pint sized mason jar (with wide mouth if possible), add all the ingredients. Secure lid and shake vigorously for 5 minutes.
- Freeze mason jar for at least 3 hours. Serve and enjoy.
- Vodka- this helps the sugar free ice cream have a softer texture, unlike most store bought sugar free ice creams. However, it's optional, so you decide.
- If you don't have a mason jar, you could also use a freezer safe ziploc bag (be sure to secure closed).
- Flavors- Chocolate- add 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder. Chocolate Chip- add 2 Tablespoons sugar free chocolate chips after shaking. Strawberry- add 2 Tablespoons freeze dried strawberries (make sure to check labels for sugar free).
- Best when eaten and enjoyed within one week.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 220Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 54mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 2g