Sausage and Peppers Casserole is an easy meal idea that’s low in carbs but full in flavor. This baked casserole has plenty of spicy Italian sausage, baked with peppers and bubbly cheese on top. No bun needed! Slow cooker instructions included!
Why This Casserole is Best
Sausage and Peppers is an Italian American staple, especially in the midwest. Made with inexpensive ingredients, it’s the perfect way to feed a crowd.
- Made with with Hot Italian sausage for spicy flavor.
- High in protein, low in net carbs.
- Baked in a zesty tomato sauce.
- Topped with melted provolone.
- Delicious on its own or with cauliflower rice!
You usually find sausage, peppers and onions served on hoagie rolls or buns. This baked version has all the great flavor of those satisfying sandwiches, but without the gluten and extra carbs.
- Hot Italian Sausage – Choose bulk sausage with no added sugars. If you can’t find bulk sausage, you can use links with the casings removed.
- Tomato sauce – You will need canned tomato sauce with no added flavorings or sugar for this casserole recipe. We’ve also made sausage and peppers with fresh pureed tomatoes but found the sauce turns out thinner.
- Green bell peppers are the traditional choice for sausage and peppers. Remove the seeds and dice them into small pieces.
- Provolone cheese – Sliced mozzarella or fontina cheese can also be used as the cheesy top layer for sausage and peppers casserole.
- Start by browning the Italian sausage in a skillet. Drain, then return it to the skillet along with tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes.
- Cook until ingredients are well combined, then transfer them to a casserole dish.
- Add the peppers and onions to the skillet. Cook until softened. Add to the casserole dish and combine with the meat mixture.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Take off the foil and top the casserole with cheese slices. Increase the oven temperature and bake the casserole for another few minutes. The cheese should be melted, bubbly and slightly browned.
Slow cooker instructions:
- Brown the sausage in a skillet on the stove top. Add it to the slow cooker along with the remaining ingredients (except the cheese). Cover and cook sausage and peppers on low for 6-8 hours.
- If you want a bubbly cheese topping, you can transfer the sausage and peppers to a casserole dish, then add the cheese on top and place it under the broiler for a couple of minutes.
- You can also just add the cheese to the slow cooker at the end of cooking and let it melt a bit before serving. It will still taste great, although it won’t get brown and bubbly like the baked version.
Looking for a low carb sandwich idea? Try loading up some Chaffles with a helping of sausage and peppers. Hearty, low carb and totally satisfying!
We recommend hot Italian sausage for the perfect spicy and herby flavor. If you don’t want the casserole quite so hot, mild Italian sausage works well too. Can’t find Italian sausage? Try it with Kielbasa for another tasty variation. Remember to check the ingredients to ensure whatever sausage you use is free of added sugars and flour.
This sausage and peppers casserole can easily become a one dish dinner. Use a 2 quart cast iron dutch oven to brown the sausage on the stove top. Then you can simply add the remaining ingredients and add it right to the oven. Easy preparation and clean up!
If you make more than your family can eat in one sitting, store leftover Sausage and Peppers Casserole in an airtight container in the fridge. It keeps well this way for about 3 days.
Sausage and Peppers Casserole is a great freezer meal idea too. I recommend freezing it before adding the cheese. When you’re ready to eat, thaw the frozen casserole and reheat in the oven with the provolone cheese on top.
- Zucchini Casserole Recipe
- Crack Chicken Cassserole
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Baked Pork Chops
- Zucchini Lasagna
- Buddha Bowl Recipe
- 2 pounds hot Italian Sausage
- 2 cans (14.5 ounce each) Diced Tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) Tomato Sauce
- 1 can (6 ounce) Tomato Paste
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 6 slices Provolone cheese
- Brown the bulk italian sausage in a skillet until completely cooked. Drain and return to large skillet.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste to meat mixture. Cook over low heat until blended. Pour into 2 quart casserole dish. Set aside.
- In skillet, add onion and peppers. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until softened. Add to casserole dish, stir with meat sauce.
- Cover dish with foil and bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes, until bubbly and hot. Remove foil and top with slices of provolone cheese.
- Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees. Return dish, uncovered, to oven and cook for several minutes until cheese is brown and bubbly.
- Serve with cauliflower rice (if desired). ENJOY!
- Try to find the bulk Italian sausage, otherwise, remove the casings from the links and cook as directed. Be sure to choose sausage with no added sugar.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 652Total Fat: 49gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 34gCholesterol: 106mgSodium: 1468mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 37g
You need this Sausage and Peppers Casserole recipe on your dinner menu! Baked in the oven or simmered in the slow cooker, you’ll love this quick and easy low carb meal idea.