The spicy enchilada flavor you crave is transformed into a nourishing bowl of soup! Make this quick and easy sugar free Chicken Enchilada Soup recipe in the Instant Pot, slow cooker or on the stove top. Don’t forget all your favorite enchilada toppings!
Easy Enchilada Soup
Enchiladas are one of my all time favorite meals. I love them filled with chicken, beef, pork or even just with veggies. Extra cheese on top, please!
Cooking and eating without flour was NOT going to mean I was giving up enchilada night.
A bowl of this soup topped with sour cream, black olives, avocado, and shredded cheese hits the spot just as well–if not better–than rolled enchiladas. Plus, I save so much time by not having to fill and roll individual tortillas!
You can make this recipe in the slow cooker, Instant Pot or the old fashioned way on the stove top.
With almost no hands-on cooking time, you’ll end up with a hearty and flavorful meal that the whole family will love. No tortillas needed!
- Enchilada Sauce – Use our Homemade Enchilada Sauce recipe for the best flavor! If you use store bought sauce, be sure to check the ingredients label to make sure there are no added sugars.
- Chicken bone broth – Bone broth contains more protein and other nutrients than other broths, however you can swap it out for regular chicken broth if needed.
- Chicken thighs – Make sure they are boneless and skinless.
- Black beans – Canned beans make this recipe extra easy.
- Toppings – I love sour cream, guacamole, cheddar cheese and olives on mine! Fresh cilantro is delicious as a soup topping too. Drizzle some cashew queso over the top!
For the slow cooker: Add all the ingredients to the crock pot and cover. Cook for 6 – 8 hours on low. Shred the chicken and add it back to the soup before serving.
For the stove top: Combine the ingredients in a large stock pot or dutch oven and bring to a simmer on medium-low heat. Cook for an hour and stir every so often to ensure the flavors get combined. Shred the chicken and serve!
For the Instant Pot: Saute the chicken in the pot, then remove. Add broth to deglaze the pan, followed by all the remaining ingredients except for the lime juice. Cook on High Pressure for 15 minutes, natural release for 10 minutes, then remove the chicken and shred before returning to the pot. Squeeze in the lime juice and stir before serving.
PRO TIP: Serve the leftovers over cilantro lime cauliflower rice!
Yes, chicken breasts will work just fine in this enchilada soup.
When you deglaze, you add liquid (in this case, broth) to a pan and scrape off any burned bits of food stuck to the pan. In this recipe, deglazing the pan after browning the chicken helps prevent getting a burn notice when you pressure cook the soup.
Sure, if you prefer the taste of enchiladas verde (green enchiladas), then a green sauce would totally work here. I preferred the flavor of my homemade enchilada sauce in this recipe!
Leftover soup can be transferred to an airtight container and kept in the freezer. Thaw in the fridge and reheat on the stove top or microwave.
More Easy Dinner Recipes
- Gluten Free Swedish Meatballs
- Low Carb Pizza Casserole
- Chicken Broccoli Casserole
- Big Mac Salad
- Instant Pot Taco Chili
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- 2 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 32 oz chicken bone broth
- 2 cups enchilada sauce
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (3.5 oz) green chilies, chopped
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp dry minced onion
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 2 limes, juiced
- Toppings, optional, cheddar cheese, sour cream, black olives, avocado
For the Slow Cooker:
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker and heat on low for 6- 8 hours. Remove chicken and shred prior to serving.
- Serve with optional toppings and enjoy.
For the Instant Pot:
- Select "SAUTE" on the Instant Pot and add 1 Tbsp olive oil to the bottom of the pot. Add in chicken. Cook for about 2-3 minutes each side, then remove the chicken. Turn off.
- Add broth to bottom of pot. Using a wooden spoon, scrape the bits from the bottom to prevent the burn notice. Add in chicken, enchilada sauce, beans, green chilies, cumin, onion, and garlic salt.
- Secure the lid, making sure the valve on top is set to "SEALING." Select High Pressure (or Manual) for a cook time of 15 minutes.
- Do a quick release of the pressure, turning the valve to VENTING after the cook time ends.
- Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Return to pot, add juice of two limes, and enjoy with optional toppings.
For the Stove Top:
- Add all the ingredients to a Dutch Oven or large pot. Simmer on medium low, covered, for one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Remove chicken, shred with two forks, and return to soup pot.
- Ladle into bowls with your favorite toppings.
- Be sure to check all labels for "no sugar added."
- Use our homemade enchilada sauce for delicious results!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 bowl
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 440Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 192mgSodium: 1736mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 6gSugar: 10gProtein: 49g
You’ll love how easily this soup comes together and how much flavor it brings to the dinner table. Perfect as a weeknight dinner with lots of toppings or as a starter course to a Mexican meal, this Chicken Enchilada Soup is a must try!