Make crispy oven-baked chicken without the extra carbs! Coconut Chicken is perfectly seasoned, dredged in coconut flour then cooked to perfection in this easy and healthy dinner recipe.
Why This Chicken is Best
Let’s face it: breaded chicken is simply delicious. Baked or fried, it’s one of our favorite meals. When you consider the amount of extra carbs and calories in most breaded chickens, you might think twice about putting it on your dinner plate.
What if I told you there was a way to make crispy chicken breasts in the oven with no gluten whatsoever?
Meet Baked Coconut Chicken! It’s everything you want in breaded chicken without all the unhealthy additions.
- Gluten free, paleo and keto approved
- Crispy coconut breading
- Oven baked – No frying required!
- Kids love it too!
Try our low carb chicken parmesan recipe next! Total comfort food without the extra carbs.
You only need a handful of ingredients and a few minutes of time to prep and dredge the chicken breasts.
- Chicken Breasts – Choose breasts that are equal in thickness—or pound them to equal thickness before baking. Chicken tenders will work great too!
- Coconut flour – You will dip the chicken in this for the first layer of “breading.”
- Eggs – Helps the crispy coconut exterior adhere to the chicken.
- Coconut flakes – The final layer of the breaded chicken. It creates a breadcrumb like texture on the exterior of the chicken once baked.
Before you know it, you’ll be sitting down to enjoy delicious crunchy breaded chicken without derailing your wellness goals!
Tips and Tricks
- Use small coconut flakes – Shredded coconut works too but the smaller flakes create crispiest chicken when we tested the recipe. Don’t forget to check the ingredients for no added sugars.
- Dip and dredge in the right order. Dip in coconut flour first, then dredge your chicken breasts in the beaten eggs before coating with coconut flakes. Otherwise the breading will not stick and create the crispy, flavorful exterior you want.
- Pie plates make breading easier. We put the breading ingredients in three separate pie plates so we can dip the chicken in one right after the other.
- Serve right away. Coconut chicken should be enjoyed hot, fresh and crispy straight from the oven for best taste! The longer it sits, the softer the breading will become.
A sheet pan of roasted vegetables makes a perfect side dish for this chicken. You can even roast the veggies while the chicken is baking. Our Roasted Radishes and our Mashed Cauliflower are two more side dishes to try with Coconut Chicken.
This recipe uses unsweetened coconut flakes so there is no sweetness in the chicken (unlike, say, coconut shrimp which is usually made with sweetened shredded coconut). The natural sweetness of the coconut is there, without an overpowering sweetness.
Always use a meat thermometer to check chicken for doneness. Insert the thermometer into the center of each chicken breast and read the temperature. Once the chicken reaches an internal temperature 165 F it is ready to come out of the oven.
The breading on this chicken is on the thinner side, which is how we prefer it. For a thicker coating, double the coconut flour, eggs and coconut flakes and complete all the steps for dredging twice through.
More Low Carb Dinners
- BBQ Chicken Thighs
- Lemon Garlic Chicken
- Baked Salsa Chicken
- Chicken Stir Fry
- Garlic Butter Shrimp
- Chicken Mushroom Recipe
- Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teasoon black pepper
- 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut (or coconut flakes)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line baking sheet (15x10x1-inch) with parchment paper or foil.
- Pound chicken breasts between two pieces of parchment paper until even thickness, about 1/2-inch thick. Set aside.
- In a shallow dish combine coconut flour, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- In a small, shallow bowl beat eggs. Set aside.
- In third shallow dish, add shredded coconut.
- Dredge chicken breasts in flour mixture, then dip in egg mixture. Finally, press into the shredded coconut.
- Place chicken on baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through the bake time. Chicken is done when internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- We like to use pie plates to mix ingredients for dipping.
- If you like a thicker coating, repeat the process (double the ingredient amounts for the coating).
- Serve with roasted vegetables.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 476Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 220mgSodium: 463mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 6gSugar: 4gProtein: 44g
Totally delicious and extra crispy, our Coconut Chicken recipe makes it easy to enjoy your favorite foods without compromising your lower carb lifestyle!