Chicken Stir Fry is an easy, tasty and healthy dinner idea for any night of the week! Succulent chicken, tender veggies and a no-sugar stir-fry sauce come together in this lighting quick recipe.
Why This Stir Fry is So Easy
Knowing how to make stir fry is one of those life skills that comes in handy time and time again. When it comes to quick and easy dinners, you can’t go wrong with Chicken Stir Fry!
- It comes together in one skillet.
- All you need are chicken, vegetables and a simple sauce.
- Ready in 30 minutes or less!
There are nearly endless options for making different kinds of stir fry dishes, from changing up the vegetables to the sauce. Today I’m sharing my favorite go-to stir fry recipe.
Unlike other versions of the popular Asian dish, it’s made entirely without added sugars. Turns out you don’t need the sugar when you cook with flavorful ingredients and fresh vegetables. This chicken stir fry is a good-for-you meal that even gets the stamp of approval from the picky eaters in my life!
Love stir-fry recipes? Our cashew chicken recipe is delicious.
I make this stir fry with chicken breasts, red bell peppers, broccoli and mushrooms. Then I add plenty of garlic and a signature sauce to pack in the flavor.
Here’s what I use in my no sugar stir fry sauce:
- Soy sauce – I recommend a low sodium version. Check the labels for a gluten free brand with no added sugars or flours.
- Black pepper – Freshly ground peppercorn is best, but any pepper will do.
- Sesame oil – The slightly nutty flavor adds an extra dimension to the sauce.
- Red pepper flakes – For a little extra heat!
- Kosher salt – The soy sauce is already salty so you only need a little to tie everything together.
Whisk the ingredients together with a little water and it’s ready to add to your stir-fry.
Tips and Tricks
- Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces before cooking. This helps with even cooking.
- Make sure not to overcrowd the skillet or wok. When veggies are too close together they tend to steam rather than stir-fry and can become overcooked.
- I like to add a squeeze of fresh lemon or lime juice to brighten up the flavor.
- Want more heat? Add a few more red pepper flakes or taste; or your favorite no sugar chili garlic sauce.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds before serving for a beautiful and flavorful garnish.
This chicken stir fry is perfect served on a bed of cauliflower rice. We love it on zoodles (zucchini noodles) too! You could even enjoy it with lettuce wraps or in a bowl all on its own.
No wok is needed for this chicken stir fry recipe. It can be made in a regular skillet on the stove with great results.
You can definitely make this with boneless skinless chicken thighs. Just remember to cut the chicken into small pieces first so it cooks quickly!
This chicken stir fry recipe is keto approved, low carb and gluten free. We use all low carb ingredients and no added sugars or flours.
Store your cooked chicken stir fry in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Chicken stir fry is best reheated on the stovetop. Add the leftover stir fry contents to a pan with a tablespoon of oil. Heat on medium heat until warmed through.
- Coconut Chicken
- Keto Tuscan Chicken
- Crack Chicken Casserole
- Grilled Chicken Tenders
- Instant Pot Taco Chicken
For the Sauce
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
For the Stir Fry
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 Tablespoons oilve oil, divided
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 2 cups broccoli florets (about 1 small head)
- 2 cups (16 ounce) sliced mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1 Tablespoon sesame seeds, optional
- Start by making the sauce. In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, water, pepper, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large skillet (or wok), heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat. Add bite size pieces of chicken and cook until golden brown, stirring until all sides have been cooked (about 5 minutes). Remove chicken from skillet to a plate and set aside.
- In same skillet, add remaining olive oil. Add red pepper, broccoli, and mushrooms. Heat over medium heat for several minutes until vegetables are tender. Add in minced garlic and ginger and cook an additional minute.
- To the skillet, add chicken over medium heat. Drizzle stir fry sauce over the top and heat for a few minutes until everything has been coated and warmed.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds (optional) and enjoy.
- Be sure to check all labels to make sure they are gluten free and no sugar added.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in skillet with 1 Tablespoon olive oil.
- Add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice to brighten up the flavor.
- Serve with cauliflower rice or zoodles.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 289Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 976mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 39g
This low carb keto Chicken Stir Fry is the perfect quick and easy dinner recipe!