Keto Hamburger Buns are soft, golden brown rolls that just happen to be grain free! Rich in protein and topped with sesame seeds, these gluten free burger buns are delicious and easy to make.
Why Make this Recipe
Bread is the one thing most people miss when going to a no sugar no flour lifestyle. Our gluten free garlic bread is a staple in our kitchen. But sometimes you need other options.
The standard low carb burger option is usually bun-less. And while I enjoy a burger wrapped in lettuce, sometimes I miss the full hamburger experience.
Is there anything quite as satisfying as sinking your teeth into a juicy burger, complete with bun, condiments and all the fixings? The fluffy bun is essential to the experience, in my opinion. And a bun made of lettuce doesn’t cut it. While we do love biting into a burger chaffle, today’s recipe is another great alternative.
This keto hamburger bun recipe creates perfect slider-sized buns that are just as satisfying as the carb loaded ones!
- These buns are keto, gluten free and grain free!
- Mozzarella cheese gives them a delicious boost of flavor.
- Sesame seeds on top add a restaurant quality touch.
- Enjoy the full burger experience, even when you’re cutting carbs!
Make our low carb eggplant parmesan and serve with today’s buns!
- Eggs – Eggs bind the dough together giving the buns a rich flavor and color. Additional egg yolks are brushed on top of the buns before baking to give them the perfect golden brown hue.
- Baking powder – This ingredient leavens the dough, helping it rise and expand as it bakes.
- Cream cheese – Make sure to use full fat cream cheese in blocks, nothing whipped or low-fat. The fat adds flavor while the moisture in the cream cheese helps the dough come together.
- Mozzarella cheese – The shredded cheese is melted then combined with the other dough ingredients to make the dough soft and savory.
- Almond and coconut flour – This blend of gluten free flours created buns with the most similar consistency to traditional versions.
- Sesame seeds – These are optional but I love the light nutty taste and appearance they give keto burger buns.
Making keto burger buns is easy once you have all your ingredients ready!
- First, use a food processor to make it easy to incorporate all the ingredients into a smooth dough. Next, shape the dough into 12 buns and flatten the tops slightly.
- Brush the top of each bun with beaten egg yolks. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Bake the buns until the tops are golden brown and slightly cracked (about 20 minutes).
- Slice and enjoy with your favorite burger patties!
Tips and Tricks
- These keto hamburger buns taste best if enjoyed within 1 day. After that they begin to taste slightly dry.
- Made as directed, this recipe makes a dozen slider sized buns. You can make the buns larger for full sized burgers too! Just adjust the baking time.
- I strongly recommend using room temperature ingredients for easiest mixing! Plan ahead and take your cream cheese and eggs out of the fridge about 20-30 minutes before making the dough.
You can use Keto Burger Buns just like regular hamburger rolls. Enjoy them with beef, turkey or veggie burger patties and all your favorite toppings. They’d also be delicious with grilled chicken, pulled pork or sliced deli meat! Or dip them in soups!
Store keto buns in the refrigerator in an airtight container if you don’t plan to eat them all right away.
After the first 24 hours, reheat them in a toaster oven for a few minutes before serving.
No, you cannot make these with almond meal. Almond flour is finely processed from blanched almonds (without the skins). Almond meal is made from almonds with the skins on and is much coarser. The two are not interchangeable.
Yes, keto burger buns are made without grain. They are also vegetarian and, naturally, gluten free.
More Keto Friendly Recipes
- Breaded Pork Chops
- Cilantro lime Chicken
- Almond Flour Brownies
- Zucchini Casserole
- Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- 3 large eggs, room temperature, divided
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup cream cheese, softened
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 ¾ cup almond flour
- 2 Tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 Tablespoons sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Beat two eggs until foamy. Add in baking powder, salt, and cream cheese until combined. Set aside.
- Place 1 Tablespoon of olive oil and the shredded mozzarella cheese in a small pot over medium heat. Stir until the cheese is melted. Let it slightly cool, just for two minutes or so.
- In the meantime, place the egg mixture into a food processor with a sharp blade. Add melted mozzarella, and process until well combined. The result should be a smooth batter. Small pieces of cheese not combined won’t matter.
- Add almond flour into the food processor pulsing a few times until well combined. Transfer the dough to a large bowl. Add coconut flour and mix by hand.
- Use your hands to roll the dough into 12 small buns. Arrange them on the prepared cookie sheet and lightly flatten the top.
- Divide the remaining egg into whites and yolks, beat the yolk, and brush each bun with it, to give them a nice golden look (you will not need the egg white). Next, sprinkle some sesame seeds on top of the buns.
- Bake buns for 20-22 minutes, or until the surface has cracked a little and they’re golden brown.
- These buns are excellent when freshly made; after the first 24hour, they tend to dry a little bit. The best is to reheat them in a toaster on those occasions before serving.
- Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- These are perfect "slider" sized buns. If making larger, adjust baking time.
Serving Size:1 bun
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 172Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 257mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 7g
A low carb solution to burger cravings that’s more exciting than a lettuce wrap. The whole family will be able to eat–and enjoy–these easy Keto Hamburger Buns made with almond flour and cheese.