This Stuffed Pepper Soup features all the familiar meaty, cheesy flavor of stuffed peppers. Ground beef is seasoned with Italian herbs, then simmered for hours in a tangy tomato broth with peppers and onions. Can be made in slow cooker or stove top!
We love taking our favorite comfort foods and transforming them into even easier, healthier meals. If you like today’s soup recipe, we know you’ll love this Chicken Enchilada Soup and this Chicken Fajita Soup recipe too!
Why this Soup is Best
- Tastes like stuffed peppers–but in soup form!
- Cooked low and slow – The flavors have time to mingle and meld making this soup even more delicious.
- Keto approved soup – Enjoy a satisfying meal while keeping your wellness intentions on track.
- Slow cooker and stove top options – You’ll love this soup no matter which way you prepare it.
The most labor intensive part of this soup recipe is browning the ground beef in the skillet. That’s not a bad trade off for a nourishing homemade dinner!
Love soup? Be sure to try our keto zuppa toscana soup recipe next!
- Ground beef. You can use any fat percentage of ground beef here or even ground turkey.
- Peppers. We used a combination of red and green bell peppers to give this soup a variety of colors.
- Tomato paste thickens this stuffed pepper soup while adding tangy flavor.
- Beef broth creates the liquid base for this soup. Some broth varieties have added sugars or flour, so make sure to check the label.
- Diced tomatoes. Use canned undrained tomatoes. The liquid combined with beef broth and tomato paste to give the soup a perfect consistency.
- Cauliflower rice. We add riced cauliflower to the soup just before serving. You can also use Banza rice (made from chickpeas) in this soup. If using Banza, add it to the pot in the last 30 minutes of cooking.
- Mozzarella cheese. This is an optional topping but really makes the soup taste more like stuffed peppers!
Stove Top Directions
Need to get dinner on the table fast? Make Stuffed Pepper Soup in a Dutch oven instead.
- Brown the ground beef in the Dutch oven on the stove top. Drain the excess grease, then return the beef to the pan. Add the diced vegetables, tomatoes, tomato paste, beef stock and seasoning.
- Cover the soup and cook on low for 1 hour. Stir in the cauliflower rice before serving.
- Add shredded mozzarella and fresh chopped parsley to each bowl of soup. Fresh grated parmesan would be delicious too!
- I love this hearty soup with a light green salad on the side. Toss together some leafy greens with a sugar free dressing and you’re good to go.
- Looking for a great dessert idea? You can’t go wrong with these keto approved chocolate chip shortbread cookies!
Yes, browning the ground beef before slow cooking is a must. It prevents the beef from clumping and keeps the excess grease out of your soup.
Yes, this soup is low in net carbs and keto approved! Make sure to check the labels on your packaged and canned ingredients to make sure there are no added sugars sneaking their way into your soup.
Leftovers can be transferred to an airtight container and kept in the fridge for about 3 days.
You can freeze this soup for longer storage too. Let the frozen soup thaw in the fridge overnight then reheat in the microwave or on the stove for a quick and easy lunch.
More Low Carb Dinners
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) diced tomatoes, do not drain
- 4 cups (32 ounce package) beef broth
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 Tablespoon dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups cauliflower rice
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, optional
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef until cooked and crumbled. Drain grease and add beef to bottom of large slow cooker.
- Add diced onion, peppers, tomatoes, beef stock, and tomato paste. Add in oregano, basil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir until combined.
- Close lid and cook on low for 6 hours. Before serving, add in cauliflower rice. Spoon into bowls and top with shredded cheese and parsley if desired. ENJOY.
- Soup can also be made in a large dutch oven. After browning the beef, drain grease. Add in vegetables, stock, and seasonings. Cook on low, covered, for an hour, stirring occasionally. Add in rice cauliflower and serve.
- Swap out the rice cauliflower and use Banza rice instead, it's made with 100% chickpeas. Add 1 cup to the slow cooker during the last 30 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 396Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 108mgSodium: 481mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 36g
Everything you love about stuffed peppers combined in one tasty soup recipe! Make this Stuffed Pepper Soup on the stove top or in the slow cooker for a comforting, satisfying meal any night of the week.