Classic Chicken Salad gets a keto makeover in this quick and easy low-carb recipe! Tender bites of chicken are tossed with crispy bacon, celery and a creamy mayo dressing for a satisfying meal in under 30 minutes.
Why This Chicken Salad is Best
Many of us grew up eating chicken salad. Bowls of chicken mixed with mayonnaise and celery are a staple at every potluck and picnic I can remember.
You might be wondering: does the world need another chicken salad recipe?
Once you try this version of the classic dish, you’ll taste for yourself why it’s so much better than your everyday chicken salad!
- Chicken and bacon – Twice the protein and flavor!
- Low carb and sugar free.
- Perfect for lettuce wraps.
- Serve it as a lunch or dinner.
- Ready in 25 minutes!
Did you know you don’t need dozens of seasonings to make chicken salad flavorful?
This Chicken Salad recipe is made with just 4 main ingredients and a little salt and pepper to enhance the flavor.
- No Sugar Bacon – All the flavor you love with none of the sugar or extra carbs. Use our guide on how to cook bacon in the oven.
- Chicken breasts – Choose boneless skinless breasts for this recipe. Chicken thighs work great too.
- Mayonnaise – The real stuff, not mayo “spreads” with added sugar.
- Celery ribs – For that satisfying crunch!
Tips and Tricks
Here’s the real secret to making the best chicken salad ever: cook the chicken in bacon grease.
Fry your bacon in the skillet first. Once it’s nice and crispy, take out the bacon and add the chicken breasts right to the pan WITH the grease.
This gives the chicken an incredibly hearty, savory, salty flavor without needing a ton of extra seasonings.
- Serve your chicken salad on a bed of lettuce leaves or tucked inside a lettuce wrap.
- It’s also delicious with scooped up with your favorite keto crackers like nut thins.
- Make a sandwich using our delicious keto chaffles.
- If none of those are available, just grab a fork and dig into the chicken salad all on its own!
Chicken is done cooking when its internal temperature reached 165 F. Use a meat thermometer to test the temperature toward the end of the recommended cook time.
Yes, you can use any cooked chicken breast in this recipe! You won’t get the same flavor as skillet cooking the chicken in bacon grease, but the chicken salad will still taste great.
Leftovers from this chicken salad recipe should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Do not leave the salad at room temperature or in the sun; it will spoil quickly if not chilled.
Chicken salad in a mayo-based dressing like this one stays good for up to 3 days as long as its kept tightly covered and chilled.
Not all chicken salad is created equal, but this recipe is completely keto approved! As long as you use no-sugar bacon and real mayonnaise, the salad contains no added sugars, gluten and is naturally low carb!
More Easy Low Carb Chicken Recipes
- Lemon Garlic Chicken
- Keto Tuscan Chicken
- Baked Salsa Chicken
- Chicken and Mushrooms
- Chicken Alfredo Zoodles
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 6 slices sugar free bacon
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- butter lettuce leaves, for serving, optional
- Flatten chicken breasts to equal thickness. In a large skillet over medium high heat, cook bacon until crispy.
- Remove bacon to a paper towel lined plate and crumble when cooled.
- In the same skillet (with the bacon grease), add chicken breasts and cooke about 4-5 minutes on each side, until thoroughly cooked.
- Remove chicken and cut into bite sized pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, bacon, mayonnaise, celery, salt, and pepper. Stir until combined.
- Serve chicken salad with butter lettuce leaves or choose to just eat with a fork.
- Chicken is done when the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F with a meat thermometer.
- Store chicken salad in refrigerator in airtight container for up to 3 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 295Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 386mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 5gProtein: 26g
Grab a chicken breast and a few easy ingredients to make a hearty keto Chicken Salad recipe perfect for lunch, a light dinner or any summer potluck!