Ditch the tortilla and dig into a delicious Taco Salad instead! This keto friendly recipe is the perfect way to get your taco fix without the processed carbs.
Why Make Taco Salad
Taco salad takes all the best parts of tacos—seasoned ground beef, tangy cheese, salsa—and tossed them with fresh greens. It’s an explosion of flavors, textures and colors and every bit as satisfying as your favorite taco.
- Better for you. Taco salad is packed with protein, fresh veggies and heart-healthy fats.
- Endless options. It’s easy to customize your salad the way you like it!
- Quick and easy. Just brown some beef in a skillet, toss with the other ingredients and eat!
Whether you’re steering clear of carbs or just looking for a few healthier dinner options for the Mexican food lovers in your family, you’ll love this easy grain free taco salad recipe.
Need another easy lunch idea? Our chicken salad recipe is delicious!
Everyone has their own spin on the taco inspired salad concept. Here’s what I put in mine to keep it low carb, hearty and, most importantly, delicious.
- Ground beef – Ground turkey is another good option! Use our slow cooker taco meat recipe if you prefer.
- Taco seasoning – Use this homemade taco seasoning to ensure no added sugar or flour.
- Romaine lettuce hearts – Or swap it out for your favorite salad greens.
- Cherry tomatoes – I love the juicy fresh flavor in this salad.
- Shredded cheddar cheese – Any cheese you enjoy in tacos works here.
- Avocado – Or add guacamole instead.
- Chunky salsa – You can choose mild, medium or hot depending on how spicy you want the salad.
- Sour cream – It cools down the heat of the salsa and spices while adding a creamy element.
Keep it Low Carb
- Unlike most versions, this keto taco salad does not contain tortilla chips or tortilla strips. The romaine lettuce hearts add plenty of crunch on their own! If you want more crunchiness, feel free to toss in some diced red onion.
- You will also notice there’s no salad dressing in this recipe. Instead, the salsa and sour cream do the job on their own, adding moisture and flavor to the greens. You could use our sugar free ranch dressing if you prefer.
- Remember to double check the ingredients of your salsa to make sure it contains no added sugars.
- Serving a crowd? Set up a taco bar with all the ingredients kept separate so everyone can make their salad just the way they like it.
- Chicken! Swap out the ground beef and use our salsa chicken instead.
You can prepare the individual components of the salad ahead of time but wait to put them together until it’s time to eat. Cook the beef, shred the cheese and chop the vegetables. Store them separately until you’re ready to assemble and eat the taco salad.
To reheat taco meat on the stove, heat it in a skillet with an additional 2 TBS of water over medium heat until warmed through.
To reheat taco meat in the microwave, place it in a microwave safe bowl with 2 TBS of water. Heat in 1 minute increments until warm.
This taco salad recipe is a lightened up take on the typical taco salads you see on restaurant menus. When made without fried tortilla strips and heavy dressings, salads with taco meat can be a well balanced meal full of protein, fiber and vitamins from the vegetables.
Yes, you could use pico de gallo (fresh salsa) in place of the chunky red salsa. Or use both!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts, chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup chunky salsa
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- In a medium skillet, brown ground beef over medium high heat. Crumble and brown the beef as it cooks. Drain excess fat. Turn heat to low and add taco seasoning with water. Simmer until combined, several minutes.
- While the beef is simmering, add salad ingredients to a bowl (romaine, tomatoes, cheese, avocado). Add ground beef and top with salsa and sour cream. Toss to combine.
- Store: Refrigerate leftovers in airtight container for up to 2 days. Try to keep ingredients separated if you know you'll be having leftovers, as the lettuce, sour cream, salsa, and avocado are best added fresh.
- Reheat: Add up to 2 Tablespoons water to taco meat and heat in a skillet or microwave until warm.
- Guacamole is a great addition instead of sliced avocados!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 392Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 92mgSodium: 565mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 27g
Who needs tortillas or taco shells? This keto salad recipe is full of spicy ground beef, cheese and all the classic taco fixings.